10th March

On this date Nicky, Dan and Hannah also had a meeting with Dewi to dicuss what was needed to be done. They were asked that mostly set and prop dressing needed doing. So they informed me of what was discussed and what happened, then we went in on Wednesday 13th and started to help with the sets.

Project

For this part of our semester we have to help out on outside projects to get an idea as to working in the industry. For part of this project we were asked and pitched to by the 3rd years to help with their final film projects. Working in the same area that we would like to pursue, we then showed our interest and were then given tasks to do, from set making and dressing to prop making and for me producing.

Music in games and animation

This was a really interesting talk as I made us all think about music in games and animation. About how sound plays a key role and that it is important in player and audience satisfaction to sync it up with the right part in the visual. It made us think about sound and how it was more important than we though and not just to accompany the visual.
Here are my notes on the lecture;

P1050124

P1050125

P1050126

P1050127

P1050128

P1050129

P1050130

IMG_0291

IMG_0293

30 Second Animation

This is my 30 second animation which I created in response to a piece of music. Because I wanted something different and to be a bit more creative I asked my Friend Jess who is on a Sound course to create a 30second piece of sound for me. I asked her to but some beats in it so that I could have some main parts to animate too and I was really happy with the outcome that she gave me as It was just what I was after. Even though this animation was simple It was what I wanted to do as I went with the sound and shows my animation reacting to it. I like the way the paint moves in and out to the music but yet suddenly jolters out when the beat comes in. I am pleased with my first animation that I have done to sound.

Evaluation

Overall with our final piece I am happy with the outcome. We have shown experimental ideas and how the visual aspect can work with sound. I think the way we have created our final piece works really well with our sounds as we could be experimental and add different aspects and shapes into it connecting it with the sound even more. Overall in this project I have learnt more about sound and how it works with the visual content to create a film. I have learnt about lots more animation artists who are no the ‘normal’ animation artists who look at such as Disney, but others of which who it was very interesting to look at and see how they created their animations using what techniques. In researching these it has brooded my knowledge of animation techniques and how they are used in conveying messages through sound and visual.
I am glad we went with this abstract idea as Its different from what I have done before where I have concentrated on a particular and storyline instead of going for something that doesn’t follow a story but has freedom and isn’t controlled so can flow and go with ideas and things that happen as I animate. Experimenting with this idea has also informed me as I have learnt about how abstract pieces can look really good and work very well with sound, also how they can be manipulated and worked on to sync in with the music. This is why we did not create a storyboard for our final piece, as although we had a ruff idea as to what we wanted, there wasn’t a specific story or narrative that was could pre plan as we wanted to react to the music as it was playing not planning the actions but giving freedom to the music. We wanted to give a very experimental piece showing our reactions and thoughts to the music through abstraction.

Ideas Developing 3

After filming our footage we then went into to city campus to start adding in the 2D elements of it. As we had issues in adding the shots into flash because they were such big files Dan was made role of the compositor and put the shots into after effects made the footage last for the correct amount of time that it had to be (1m30s) and then exported it so that me and Nicky could work on it in flash. To make the length of the video fit the time frame we had to slow down the shots, which at first we didn’t think was going to work and make it very jittery but it actually still worked and looked good, not being too slow to show the jitteriness of each frame but having the stop motion create effect.
Me and Nicky then worked on the piece in flash taking to turns to work on a piece, creating paint splatters with the music.
Because of the time shortage we had with creating this piece, and also because the final piece looked good with the flash images we decided to abandon the idea of the stop-motion shapes and just stick to what we had as I worked with the sound well already so we were comfortable and happy with leaving it as it was. Dan then had the role of the compositor.